Neem whole plant is extensively used in Ayurvedic System Medicine for various skin disorders and diabetes. Nature has served this plant with various organic Compounds that are used as insecticides and pesticides. Neem is a Major herb with anti fungal, anti bacterial ,anti diabetic, anti viral and anti Helminthic Properties in Ayurveda.
Doses- Powder - 3-6 gm
Juice - 10-20ml.
Decoction - 20-50ml.
Some important uses as home remedies of Neem are :-
1. Skin Disease - 10ml of juice of leaves with honey twice a day . It is advisable to take bath with water of boiled Neem leaves.
2. Wounds/Ulcer - Application of paste prepared from leaves of Neem on the affected part helps in healing of wounds/Ulcers.
3. Intestinal wounds - 20ml of Decoction made from handful of leaves should be given empty stomach for 3 days.
4. Loss of appetite - 20ml Decoction made from handful of leaves should be given empty stomach for 3 days.
5. Dandruff/ring worm - Decoction made from handful of leaves may be applied to scalp and affected area one hour before bath to alleviate dandruff.
6. Diabeties- 5gm dry leaves /fruit power with lukewarm water empty stomach twice in a day helps in certain cases of NIDDM (initial stages).
* To read more please refer Council’s publication “Ayurvedic Home Remedies”
Dr. Seema Jain